A non-practicing membership is available as an option only at registration renewal for current registered social workers (RSWs) and non-practicing members who will not be engaged in the practice of social work in Newfoundland and Labrador as defined by the Social Workers Act due to retirement, unemployment, extended leave or residing in another jurisdiction. Employment in a related or unrelated field does not qualify for non-practicing membership. Non-practicing members are not eligible to use the title social worker, registered social worker or to engage in the practice of the profession in Newfoundland and Labrador.
Individuals renewing as non-practicing members would complete online renewal through MyNLCSW including submission of the $150 annual fee.
A non-practicing membership can be maintained indefinitely for those not seeking a return to active practice.
BENEFITS OF NON-PRACTICING MEMBERSHIP INCLUDE:
- Ability to return to active social work practice in accordance with the re-entry to practice requirements outlined below,
- Affiliation with the Canadian Association of Social Workers (CASW),
- Receipt of all NLCSW electronic updates and Connecting Voices newsletters,
- Opportunity to contribute to the work of NLCSW through membership in a variety of committees,
- Access to free continuing education events organized by NLCSW and CASW.
2021-22 ONLINE RENEWAL NOW OPEN FOR CURRENT NON-PRACTICING MEMBERS:
The MyNLCSW.ca online portal is now accepting renewals from current non-practicing members for the 2021-22 registration year. The following are some helpful tips/reminders:
- Log into MyNLCSW.ca using your member number and password. A 'forgot my number/password' option is also available on the login screen.
- Please note that references to NLASW will continue to be seen throughout the online portal as part of 2021 renewal.
- Following login, renewal options include:
- Renewal for Registration 2021 (March 1, 2021 - February 28, 2022) - Current non-practicing members seeking to renew as either non-practicing or active for the 2021 registration year would select this option.
- Renewal for Registration 2020 (February 29, 2020 - February 28, 2021) - Current non-practicing members seeking active registration for the remainder of the 2020 registration year would select this option. Members would be advised when they could log back in and complete 2021 renewal.
- Clicking 'next' at the end of each step will save any details that have been inputted and take you to the next step in the process.
- The review step provides an opportunity to review/edit information prior to submission as well as an option to print renewal details or save as a pdf.
- The final step is payment of fees. The 2021 fee is $150 for a non-practicing membership and $400 for an active registration. Online payment options include Visa or MasterCard.
- Once you click 'save and submit', you will receive an email confirming that your renewal information has been received. Once your renewal has been processed by NLCSW staff, you will receive official confirmation via email with a tax receipt. The Member Search feature on the NLCSW website will also be updated automatically upon processing.
- A detailed FAQ document has been prepared with additional information that addresses many of the common renewal inquiries received from members.
NON-PRACTICING MEMBERS RETURNING TO ACTIVE SOCIAL WORK PRACTICE:
As required under the Social Workers Regulations, re-entry to practice requirements for non-practicing members with no membership lapse are as follows:
|Non-Practicing Membership||Requirements to Return|
|1-3 years as a non-practicing member||Non-practicing members can return to active social work practice at any time without additional educational requirements|
|3-5 years as a non-practicing member||Non-practicing members who have been non-practicing for more than 3 years but less than 5 years can return to active social work practice by submitting 40 credits if non-practicing for 4 years and 80 credits if non-practicing for 5 years as per CPE Policy statement. These credits can be completed at any time throughout the 4-5 year period that an individual has maintained a non-practicing membership.|
|5 years or more as a non-practicing member||Successful completion of the Association of Social Work Boards Exam is required. Exam details are available by clicking here.|
One year is equivalent to one registration year. The registration year runs from March 1 to February 28 of any given year.
All non-practicing members returning to active social work practice complete the online application through MyNLCSW including submission of the $250 fee in addition to requirements outlined in the table above.