A non-practicing membership is available as an option only at registration renewal for current registered social workers (RSWs) and non-practicing members who will not be engaged in the practice of social work in Newfoundland and Labrador as defined by the Social Workers Act due to:
- being on extended leave,
- residing in another jurisdiction or
- not working.
A non-practicing membership is NOT available for those:
- employed in a related or unrelated field, or
- practicing social work in NL electronically while residing out of province.
Individuals renewing as non-practicing members would complete online renewal through MyNLCSW including submission of the $150 annual fee. If a non-practicing member returns to or starts employment during a given registration year, the non-practicing membership will no longer be in effect. A switch over to active registration will be required, including payment of the $250 fee. Non-practicing members requiring access to the switch over application would email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A non-practicing membership can be maintained indefinitely for those not seeking a return to active practice.
Non-Practicing Membership Conditions:
Non-practicing members must abide by the following membership conditions:
- Will not use the title 'social worker', 'registered social worker', or the RSW designation
- Will not engage in the practice of social work as defined by the Social Workers Act
- Will not lead others to believe they are authorized to practice social work until such a time that they hold an active registration
- Understand that if they return to employment, including a position which does not require registration, their non-practicing membership will no longer be in effect.
BENEFITS OF NON-PRACTICING MEMBERSHIP INCLUDE:
- Ability to return to active social work practice in accordance with the re-entry to practice requirements outlined below,
- Affiliation with the Canadian Association of Social Workers (CASW),
- Receipt of all NLCSW electronic updates and Connecting Voices newsletters,
- Opportunity to contribute to the work of NLCSW through membership in a variety of committees,
- Access to free continuing education events organized by NLCSW and CASW.
NON-PRACTICING MEMBERS RETURNING TO ACTIVE SOCIAL WORK PRACTICE:
As required under the Social Workers Regulations, re-entry to practice requirements are as follows for non-practicing members with no membership lapse and not actively registered to practice social work in another jurisdiction:
|Non-Practicing Membership||Requirements to Return|
|1-3 years as a non-practicing member||Non-practicing members can return to active social work practice at any time without additional educational requirements|
|3-5 years as a non-practicing member||Non-practicing members who have been non-practicing for more than 3 years but less than 5 years can return to active social work practice by submitting 40 credits if non-practicing for 4 years and 80 credits if non-practicing for 5 years as per CPE Policy statement. These credits can be completed at any time throughout the 4-5 year period that an individual has maintained a non-practicing membership. If credits are not submitted, successful completion of the Association of Social Work Boards Exam is required. Exam details are available by clicking here.|
|5 years or more as a non-practicing member||Successful completion of the Association of Social Work Boards Exam is required. Exam details are available by clicking here.|
One year is equivalent to one registration year. The registration year runs from March 1 to February 28 of any given year.
All non-practicing members returning to active social work practice complete the online application through MyNLCSW including submission of the $250 fee in addition to requirements outlined in the table above.