Private Practice

Social work services including individual, couple, family and group therapy are often offered in a private practice setting. The registered social worker offering these services may be self-employed or a member of a partnership/group practice. Services in private practice are provided for a fee that is mutually agreed to by a client or third party (i.e., insurance company) or set out in a contract. 

If you are a resident of Newfoundland and Labrador (NL) receiving social work services from a private practitioner, please review the following information. If receiving services electronically, please visit the Electronic Practice sub-menu

Confirm Registration

The social worker must be registered with NLCSW to provide all forms of social work services. The Social Worker Registry can be used to verify registration status and access disciplinary actions.

Voluntary Private Practice Roster

Some registered social workers have elected to be part of NLCSW’s Voluntary Private Practice Roster. Individuals can use the roster to connect directly with a social worker in their area. As the roster is voluntary, it cannot capture all social workers who are engaged in private practice in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador. 

Finding the Right Fit

When seeking the services of a private practitioner, the following are some helpful questions to ask: 

  • What is your level of education? 
  • What is your area of expertise?  
  • What is your experience/training working in this area?  
  • What can I expect in my work with you? 
  • Do you provide in person and/or electronic social work services? 
Scroll to Top