Navigate online renewal using NLCSW’s FAQ Registration Renewal Module. This module supplements the Question & Answer section of NLCSW’s CPE Policy and addresses many of the common inquiries from social workers and non-practicing members.  


Online renewal can be accessed directly at MyNLCSW.ca.  If accessing the system through NLCSW’s website, there is a yellow MyNLCSW button located at the top of the homepage.

Supported browsers include Internet Explorer 10 or greater, Edge, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari.

You will need your NLCSW registration number and password. For those renewing for the first time, your password would have been issued by email as part of the initial application process.

Registration numbers are available throughout the year using the online member search available on the NLCSW website.  Also, the MyNLCSW.ca login page offers a Forgot my Registration Number feature whereby you can type in your name and the registration number matching your name is automatically generated.

From the login page of MyNLCSW.ca, you can click on the Forgot my Password link. You will be required to enter the email address NLCSW has on file for you. You will receive an email at this address providing you with instructions to specify your own password. If the email address you type does not match NLCSW’s records, you have the option to input another email address or enter your date of birth and a request will come to NLCSW staff to email your password to you.

To ensure there are no delays in the renewal process, we recommend that members create their own unique password using the Forgot my Password option through MyNLCSW.ca in advance of annual renewal.

This is likely a browser issue. We recommend trying another browser and/or another computer.


No.  Renewal details will be automatically emailed in mid-January.  You can update the email address on file with NLCSW at anytime during the year using the Update My Profile option available through MyNLCSW.ca.

NLCSW recognizes that there are circumstances when individuals use a name other than their legal name. Some examples include individuals who use their initials, a middle name, a shorter version of their name, are in the process of transitioning to another gender, or use another name within their cultural context. Registered social workers who refer to themselves by another name and have not legally changed their name should advise clients both verbally and in writing of their legal name. They can also advise clients of another name that they use. This can be indicated as in the following example:


Verbally: My name is Sidney Smith however I am referred to/my preference is Sage Smith.
Written: Sidney (Sage) Smith RSW

Yes.  If your leave starts after March 1, you are required to renew your active registration.  The Social Workers Act covers both title and scope of practice which means that anyone who is employed in a position titled social worker or practicing within the scope of the profession are required to renew their registration even if they only intend to practice for a short period during the registration year.

This statement reflects a common misconception that a position needs to be titled social worker to be considered employed in social work.  As a first step, it is important to reflect on the following question – Are you using your social work knowledge, skills, and abilities in the position?  If the answer is yes, you are employed in social work.

Non-practicing is not an option as it is only available to those who are not working in any capacity, on extended leave, or residing in another jurisdiction.

While NLCSW strongly encourages the annual submission of CPE credits for all non-practicing members, this membership can be maintained indefinitely without the submission of CPE credits for those not seeking a return to active practice.  Effective March 1, 2019, there are re-entry to practice requirements for non-practicing members with no membership lapse returning to active social work practice.  Detailed information is available under the non-practicing membership sub-menu on the NLCSW website.

One CPE credit equals one hour spent in a CPE activity. Social workers can claim credit to the nearest .5 credit (30 minutes).

Any activity that maintains, develops, or promotes your social work knowledge, skills, and abilities qualifies for CPE credits under the policy.

The CPE policy was designed to cover a broad range of activities and to provide flexibility in meeting the annual CPE requirement.  As the policy is expansive, there can be a degree of professional judgment involved when determining if and where an event fits under the policy.
In terms of the distinction between required vs elective credits, it is important to consider 1) if it is enhancing your social work skills and 2) is transferable across the profession.  If the answer to both is yes, it would tend to fall under required.
All CPE offered by NLCSW falls under required (e.g., all NLCSW webinars would fall under workshops).
For more information, please consult the CPE Policy sub-menu on the NLCSW website. This submenu contains a link to the policy as well as a CPE self assessment tool, examples of CPE, sources of CPE, and an accreditation breakdown for the CYFS training modules.

A maximum of 20 required credits can be carried from the current to the next registration year under the following circumstances:

  • More than 40 CPE credits have been submitted on the renewal form
  • Of these 40, there are more than 20 in the required category
  • It is important to note that only required credits can be carried forward.
Carry over is calculated automatically as part of the CPE step of online renewal.

Courses completed as part of the BSW degree cannot be claimed as CPE as completion of the BSW degree is required as the baseline for registration.


The NLCSW office will accept a copy of the degree, a letter from the registrar’s office or a copy of the transcripts indicating that the MSW has been conferred. This can be uploaded directly as part of the education step. This information can also be updated at any point during the registration year using the Update My Profile feature available through MyNLCSW.ca.


The current active renewal fee is $400. The non-practicing membership fee is $200.

Online payment options include Visa or MasterCard.

Payroll deduction is also an option through the Government of NL, regional health authorities and some community agencies.  Those who avail of payroll deduction are pre-identified in the online system.  Please note that payroll deduction fees are collected one year in advance.  If you are not currently availing of payroll deduction but wish to consider it for future renewals, we recommend you connect with your payroll department for more information.

Scroll up to the top of the screen to see if an error message is displayed.  Confirm you are using one of the accepted methods of payment displayed on the payment step.

A license to practice social work is issued for the duration of a registration year.  Therefore, the registration fee is not prorated.

Scroll to Top