Social work practice in Newfoundland and Labrador (NL) is governed by provincial legislation, the Social Workers Act. NLCSW is the regulatory body for social work in NL and grants the Registered Social Worker (RSW) designation through a formal registration process. This designation is required to practice social work or use the title ‘social worker’ in this province.
This following information is for applicants with a masters degree in social work accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) or a bachelors degree in social work accredited by the CSWE, including proof of a minimum of 700 hours of field placement.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org request access to the MyNLCSW online application. As part of the email, provide your full name, mailing address, primary email, primary phone number and date of birth.
- Complete the online application, including payment of applicable fees:
- $100 non-refundable application processing fee
- $400 active registration fee. The fee is prorated to half for first time registrants after October 1 of a given registration year.
- Ensure proof of identity is available to upload as part of the personal information step of the online application.
Acceptable proof of identity includes current government issued photo identification which includes the date and year of birth of the applicant.
The photo identification must be issued in the same name as the application for registration.
- Submit a criminal record check and vulnerable sector inquiry.
Applicants From Within Canada: Submit a criminal record check and vulnerable sector inquiry, produced within the last 3 months from:
- The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary
- The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, or
- another police force located in the municipality of the applicant’s place of residence.
Applicants From Outside of Canada: A police certificate issued by the federal government for immigration to Canada. More information is available on the Government of Canada website.
- Contact the relevant university and request that official transcripts be issued directed to NLCSW. Paper format can be mailed to NLCSW’s mailing address; electronic format can be emailed to email@example.com.
- Applicants previously or currently registered as a social worker in another jurisdiction, submit a completed verification of registration form.
- The successful completion of the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) exam is a condition of active registration for:
- Applicants who graduated from an accredited social work degree program more than 3 years ago and have never been registered
- Applicants previously registered as a social worker but let their registration lapse for 3 years or more
More information is available under the ASWB exam sub-menu.
Once all the required information has been received and reviewed by NLCSW, applicants will receive a status update via email.